Susan Warren Warshow is the founder of the DEFT Institute, which includes an ongoing training program in Dynamic Emotion Focused Therapy that is held monthly in Los Angeles. In addition, the Institute sponsors and participates in conferences, workshops, and lectures related to DEFT.
Susan is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Board Certified Diplomate, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. She is on the faculty of the ISTDP Institute and is a Certified IEDTA (International Experiential Dynamic Therapy Association) Teacher/Supervisor. She has published several journal articles on the application of ISTDP with patients across the spectrum of psychoneurosis (see below).
She has a private practice in Woodland Hills, CA, treating individuals and couples and specializes in anxiety, depression, relationship issues and self-defeating personality traits. She offers supervision in DEFT.
She presents at conferences and workshops nationally and internationally, including several presentations for the International Experiential Dynamic Therapy Association (IEDTA), which holds a biennial international conference. She has been a guest lecturer at California State University Northridge, California Graduate Institute and California School of Professional Psychology, and has given a series of lectures on personality disorders to several hospital medical staffs in the Southern California area. She has been a featured speaker for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists on several occasions and also presented at the National Association of Social Workers annual conference.
She has published five articles in the Ad Hoc Bulletin, an international journal of the Dutch Association for Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (the VKDP) on the following subjects:
- Treatment of a self-defiling, recovering alcoholic with an avoidant personality. Volume 6, Number 1, September 2002
- “Even Strangers Loved Me Better.” Treatment of a severely fragile, traumatized patient. Volume 7, Number 1, April 2003, P.5.
- “The Suicidal Baby: Kangaroo Dreams Reveal a Haunted Childhood .” Using STDP in dream work with a highly anxious patient. Volume 8, Number 2 , July 2004, P. 5.
- “Slaying the Serpent of Shame.” Treatment of a chronically depressed, anxious patient. Volume 11, Number 3 December 2007, Page 6.
- “The Impact of Hope in Defeating Resistance.” Treatment of a chronically depressed and defeated man. September, 2010.
Her former employment includes psychotherapist, supervisor and Coordinator of Continuing Education at the Department of Psychiatry at Northridge Hospital. She produced over 100 public presentations on child abuse and neglect in L.A. County for the Center for the Improvement of Child Caring and was media director for L.A.’s first child abuse hotline.
Contact Susan Warren Warshow, LCSW, MSW | Email: email@example.com